In our family, we have a few favourite food and prawns are one of them. Besides steaming them I always like to find some other ways to cook it. My personal favourite is this recipe as its very easy to prepare and the amount of seasoning used are flexible. Besides having the prawns and greens, it also have my favourite water chestnuts in it.
A little bit about water chestnuts, though small in size are huge in nutritions and benefits. Besides being fatless thus healthy food option, they are a good source of potassium manganese, calcium, copper, and vitamin B6 too. It also have a cooling effect so if your body is feeling a little bit heaty consider drinking water chestnut water. I guess because of their cooling effect, they are made into drinks for measles patients. They also contains detoxifying properties & helps to relieve cough.
* 8 prawns
* 50g water chestnuts
* 200g broccoli
* 2 - 3 stalks spring onion
* 2 - 3 slices of ginger
* some cooking oil
* 1/2 egg white
* 1/2 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon corn flour
* 1/2 tablespoon pepper powder
* 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1/2 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon rice wine
* 1 tablespoon corn starch
1. Remove the prawn's shell and veins, wash it then mix it well with Seasoning #1.
2. Remove the water chestnut's skin, wash and slice them into 3 pieces.
3. Wash the broccoli, cut them and boil them for about 3 - 4 minutes.
4. Preheat a pan, add in the oil, fry the prawns and water chestnuts briefly, remove and put aside for use later.
5. Mix all ingredients in Seasoning #2 in a bowl.
6. Fry the ginger and spring onion till the fragrance is out, add in the prawns and Seasoning #2, fry for a while and add in the broccoli. Dish them out to serve.
|Prawns mixed with Seasoning #1|
|Boiling the broccoli|
|Boiled Broccoli, I love their vibrant green look!|
- As mentioned earlier, this is a very flexible dish. You can add more or less of any ingredients and seasoning according to your own preference. The recipe is for 8 prawns and 200g broccoli, simply adjust the seasoning according to the portion you are cooking..
- As usual, I left out the pepper, but the dish still taste as delicious.
- If you notice in my photo, I cube my water chestnut instead of slicing them. Its just my personal preference, as cube size are easier for my son to eat it.
~ ~ ~
I am hosting a weekly Foodie Fridays linky, join me if you can, I'll be very happy to welcome you on board.
This linky is for anything that is FOOD related. It could be a restaurant you visited recently, meals you cook with your family or for your family or recipes you wish to share with every one.