Last Sunday was Mother's Day, it is supposed to be a "big" day for all Mums and judging from the news feeds on my facebook, many friends are celebrating it. I saw photos of cakes they baked or dishes they prepared for their Mums, mother in law, themselves or even for sisters and cousins. My blogger friends posted about their personal experience and views about this special day. Well, I did not blog about anything Motherly related because I did a post sometime in March 2015 about Embracing Motherhood and I don't think I need to write about it just because its a special day for all Mums, plus I would probably be repeating myself too.
Anyway, there were no cakes, no feast and no gifts other then the hugs & kisses I received first thing in the morning from the 2 boys in my life, it was pretty much a same old lazy Sunday. However, there is no lazing around when it comes to meal time on weekends, much as I would love to cook up a storm to feed a whole village the weather is preventing me from doing so. It has been a hot, humid days for the past weeks and the air simply feels so heavy and stale that I thought I am suffocating.
Luckily DinoPapa went to the supermarket the day before and cooked dinner too, we have a pot of leftover lotus root & peanut soup so I just have to think of some dishes to add to it. I took a peek inside the fridge and in 30 seconds decided on the dishes, one of them being my favourite dish; chicken and potato stew.
I like to buy a big packet of chicken mid wings to keep in the freezer, sometimes when there is a promo to get 2 packets at a cheaper price I will grab them without second thoughts. This is because they are so easy to prepare and in so many ways too. I can baked, air-fried, steam or my favourite; in stew, best of all they taste great even seasoned with just dried herbs.
I have wings and I have 2 russet potato, not the best potatoes for stewing but I like their texture so what the heck right? I marinated the wings with soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, Shaoxing wine sugar and salt for about and hour. Pan fry (coz I lazy to take out my heavy duty wok) the potatoes then the wings, move them into my corning ware, add water and simmer it for about 30mins and viola~
It was a simple 2 + 1 soup dinner but it was satisfying and delicious! Even though there were no spices added into the stew, it still smell and tasted great. The wings are soft and the russet potatoes were soft but not crumbly. The beancurd was fried till its a little bit dry on the outside but still soft on the inside, vegetable was cooked just right and the soup tasted heavenly~ with the crunchy lotus roots and peanuts. My Mother's Day dinner, cooked by Me (except for the soup) and for My Family, most definitely the Best Mother's Day ever!
*** *** ***
Simple Chicken and Potato Stew
* 8 Chicken mid wings (just nice for 3 pax)
* 1 - 2 Russet potatoes
* 1 small clove of garlic
* 2 - 3 slices or ginger
For the Marinate
* 1½ - 2 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine
* ½ teaspoon of sesame oil
* ½ teaspoon of sugar
* a pinch of salt
* dash of pepper (optional)
1. Marinate the chicken wings with the marinating ingredients for at least an hour or if possible over night.
2. Cut the potatoes into small wedges and set aside.
3. Heat up some oil in the frying pan or wok, add in the garlic and ginger to fry them till fragrance.
4. Add in the potatoes to fry till they are golden or half cooked. Remove them and set aside.
5. Heat up some oil in the frying pan or wok, add in the chicken wings to fry them, browning on both sides . Do not throw away the marinating sauce.
6. Add in the chicken wings and potatoes into stew pot or corning ware, add the marinating sauce into it.
7. Add water to cover the ingredients half way.
8. Cover the pot and simmer for about 30 mins. If you prefer the sauce to be a little bit thicken, remove the cover and simmer in medium fire for another 10 - 15 mins. Dish and serve while hot.