Having slogged in the kitchen to come out with 2 or 3 dishes on weekday dinner for past couple of months, I was all ready for a change, I am inching towards One Dish Gao Dim (or loosely translated as Settled) dishes where I can serve them with rice or noodles. Thank God for Google and I managed to find a few to save my sanity!
I found this Baked Honey Sesame Chicken at Ther RecipeCritic couple of weeks back but didn't have the chance to make it till couple of days ago. I made some changes to her original recipe to suit our taste, DinoPapa did his famous Golden Fried Rice and we had a satisfying dinner that day.
The recipe calls for chicken breast meat but we don't fancy that so I used chicken thigh meat instead coz the meat is more tender and soft. This recipe is for 4 chicken breasts but I used 2 mid size chicken thigh, I didn't have time to sit down to convert the ingredients need to my quantity so I just eyeballed it. Half way through mixing the sauces I realized that I do not have rice wine vinegar in the house, I almost flipped! I rampaged my kitchen cupboard and found a sushi rice wine.. can do lah, no choice. It did compromise the overall taste a little bit, DinoPapa said if its a little bit sourish it will taste better. Ah~ nevermind lah, next time I will use rice wine vinegar.
A baking dish of 9x13" was suggested in the original recipe but you know lah, I don't have baking dish so I used my corning ware. After I poured the sauce over the chicken I was worried as it seems that I have prepared too much sauce but as it sits in the oven baking the sauce thickened, coating the chicken nicely.
Since I eyeballed the measuring for the sauce, I could remember exactly how much exactly did I use for some of ingredients, could be more or less. Know me, you know I like recipe that are versatile right? So, based on my recipe you make the necessary adjustment to suit you taste.
You can choose to roast your sesame seed in a toaster/oven or over the stove, I did coz I like the extra fragrance and crunchiness of the sesame seed. I used my sauce pan, throw in the sesame seeds and roast them over small fire for a few seconds till they turned golden brown. Sprinkle them onto the chicken just before serving, don;t they look appetizing?
Baked Honey Sesame Chicken
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Ingredients (4 serves)
* 2 chicken thigh
* 1 cup cornstarch
* 2 eggs
* salt and pepper
* 2 tablespoon cup canola oil
* ½ cup honey
* ½ cup soy sauce
* ½ cup ketchup
* ½ cup brown sugar
* ½ cup rice wine vinegar
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 2 tablespoon cornstarch
* small amount of sesame seeds for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 160 Deg. Cut chicken thigh into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Beat the eggs slightly. Dip chicken into cornstarch and into the eggs.
4. Heat canola oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat to brown the chicken pieces.
5. Grease a baking dish large enough to lay your chicken pieces in at least single layer.
6. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and into the baking dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, make sure you cover all the pieces.
7. Put into the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
8. Stir the chicken 2 to 3 times to ensure that they are coat with the sauce.
9. Roast the sesame seeds for added fragrance and sprinkle them onto the chicken before serving.
Powered by Recipage